Thursday, March 16, 2017

Its the end of NPR as we know it

Its the end of NPR as we know it


Im a total NPR addict. Its one of the reasons Ive become middle-aged before my time. NPRs normal target audience seems to be the older end of the boomer range. So imagine my shock when the local sponsor of Morning Edition last week on my public radio station was And I Feel Fine: Best of the I.R.S. Years 1982-1987.

While I love REM, and am happy that there is a newer (older) version of Eponymous, Im a little weirded out that REM has anything to do with NPR, MarketPlaces bad-ass music selections notwithstanding. Even stranger, the way they said it, the album itself was the sponsor - not the band, not IRS records, but the album. I cant get my head around an album being the local sponsor of a radio station, especially since albums are now more conceptual than tangible in the age of IPOD. Its kind of like the War On Terra, except benign.

Available link for download